Learn More About The History Of TPU

Courtesey of the Tacoma Public Library's Northwest Room


Poor Man's Corner The Point Defiance Trolley car would stop at North 45th and Orchard Streets. It cost five cents more to continue on to the end of the line; so, to save the extra nickel, many riders would walk to final distance to the park. This stop became known as "Poor Man's Corner."
In April of 1938, Tacoma's last street car was retired and City buses took over. A big "Last Ride" celebration was held to mark the passing of a tradition. To promote the event, on June 9, 1938, two horses were hitched to the #66 streetcar and Mayor John Siegle drove it along Pacific Avenue. Two days later, a big street car parade was held with 25 street cars were decorated for the occasion. After the parade, a big dance was held at the Hotel Winthrop. Finally, at midnight on June 11, 1938, the old #66 street car was burned in a public bonfire.


In this photograph from January 1938, Jack Greer holds the "gripper" lever on the 11th Street cable car.
This is a steam driven streetcar. It traveled from downtown Tacoma, through the Proctor District, to Point Defiance Park. This photo was taken in about 1890.
The Puget Sound Electric Railway offered service between Seattle and Tacoma. Pictured here is one of the trains crossing the Puyallup River. The service ran from 1902 until 1928.
When Tacoma faced a serious power shortage in December of 1929, the U.S.S. Lexington came to the rescue by providing electricity to the City. The Navy offered tours and the ship remained in Tacoma for a month. This marked the first time that a ship had provided power for a city.